ANYmal is a rugged, autonomous four-legged robot designed for inspection and manipulation tasks. It uses sensors to scan the terrain and avoid obstacles, and can operate in rain, snow, wind, waterlogged rooms, and dusty environments.
How do you like this robot?
Rate this robot's appearance
Would you want to have this robot?
Did You Know?
ANYmal was in a 2018 episode of the TV show The X-Files.
Each ANYmal is given a unique name that starts with a letter derived from the robot's generation, such as Bany, Badger, Bear, Bedi, Bonnie, Boxy, and Bunny.
In 2018, ANYmal performed regular industrial inspection on an offshore platform.
ANYmal once shook "hands" with the Swiss President.
ANYmal has been programmed to dance in a club, play soccer, and ice skate.
- Able to run dynamically and safely climb over obstacles and stairs. Equipped with foothold selection based on online terrain mapping. Payload of up to 10 kilograms. Accessories include environmental sensors and manipulators. Ruggedized design and fully waterproof and dustproof (IP67). Actuator design allows full rotation of the legs for climbing, and change of leg configuration allows to crawl through tight spaces.
- 70 cm | 27.5 in
- 80 cm | 31 in
- 40 cm | 15.7 in
- 30 kg | 66 lb
- 3.6 km/h | 2.2 mph
- Position and torque sensing in all joints. Inertial measurement unit (IMU) in torso and all actuators. Stereo camera for terrain perception. Lidar for navigation. Microphone. Temperature sensors. Optional sensor head: 30x zoom camera with active light, thermal camera, ultrasound microphone, and gas sensor.
- 12 electric series elastic actuators (ANYdrive), with a peak power of 720 watts and robust against impact, water and dust. Hollow-shaft for maximal range of motion. Fully integrated controllers with high-frequency control of the joints with communication over EtherCAT.
- Swappable lithium-ion battery pack, 2 to 4 hours of operation
- Three Intel i7 dual-core processors. One processor for real-time locomotion control, one processor for navigation, and one processor for task-specific application software (e.g. inspection). Custom controller for each joint (integrated in ANYdrive).
- Ubuntu Linux OS, custom framework for planning, control, localization, and navigation built on ROS, range of APIs for C++, and Python control applications.
- DEGREES OF FREEDOM (DOF)
- Carbon fiber, aluminum, foam protectors, 3D-printed parts