Octavia is a social humanoid robot with an expressive face and dexterous hands. It's designed to understand how humans perceive, think, and act, using her knowledge to interact naturally with people.
How do you like this robot?
Rate this robot's appearance
Would you want to have this robot?
Did You Know?
Octavia has two brothers, Lucas and Issac, and several cousins, including Nexi (at MIT) and Cindy (at Tufts University).
Octavia can put out fires with the help of a human.
Its creators say Octavia's favorite author is science fiction writer Octavia E. Butler.
- Two-wheel self-balancing base for mobility. Able to use its hands for dexterous object manipulation. Expressive face for social interaction.
- 175 cm | 69 in
- 56 cm | 22 in
- 63.5 cm | 25 in
- 168 kg | 370 lb
- 16 km/h | 10 mph
- Two video cameras in the eyes, 3D active infrared/visible camera in the forehead, LIDAR in the mobile base. Optional: 3D passive infrared camera, microphone array, fingertip pressure sensors.
- DC motors
- 36-V lead-acid battery plus two lithium-ion batteries for drive system, 2 hours of operation.
- PC/104-based computer for body and base control; Intel PC for sensing.
- Linux and Windows OS, custom control and sensing software, ACT-R/E cognitive architecture.
- DEGREES OF FREEDOM (DOF)
- 45 (Head: 20 DoF; Hand: 7 DoF x 2; Arm: 4 DoF x 2; Torso: 1 DoF; Wheels: 2 DoF)
- Machined aluminum, plastic.