SmartBird is a robotic seagull that flies by flapping its wings and steers by twisting them at specific angles. It has an aerodynamic design inspired by biology, and you can fly it with a remote control.
How do you like this robot?
Rate this robot's appearance
Would you want to have this robot?
Did You Know?
The design of SmartBird is based on the Herring gull.
Festo is well known for making biologically inspired robots, including jellyfish and manta rays.
- Bio-inspired, ultralight design. Has autonomous and teleoperation modes.
- N/A cm | N/A in
- 107 cm | 42.1 in
- 200 cm | 78.7 in
- 0.45 kg | 1 lb
- 25 km/h | 15.5 mph
- Motor position Hall-effect sensors
- Graupner Compact 135 brushless DC motor. Two servos to control head and tail sections; two servos to control wing torsion.
- 7.4-V 450-mA lithium-polymer battery, 20 minutes of operation
- Texas Instruments LM3S811 32-bit 50-MHz microcontroller. 868 MHz radio control module and 2.4 GHz two-way ZigBee module
- No OS. Custom software.
- DEGREES OF FREEDOM (DOF)
- Carbon fiber and polyurethane foam.